I’ll be the first to tell you that I am certainly a realist. I am working very hard on being more upbeat and positive in my everyday life! If we are being honest, I think we can all use some tips for a more positive outlook on life. I always thought it was cool that the United States Constitution says “the pursuit of happiness” (Sorry, law nerd) because it really is a pursuit. Let’s be honest…life is hard and often unpredictable. It’s the little things that make it better. So today on the blog, I want to share a few tips for everyday living that give me a more positive outlook on life and help me live a stress free life.
- New Outfit: This is pretty much why I started this blog. I’ve always loved clothes and no matter how bad of a day I have, if I am wearing something I love… I can take on the world. The reason this blog is called “Diamonds on Her Soul” is because of a song called “Diamonds on the Souls of Her Shoes” by Paul Simon. My favorite lyric is ” She got diamonds on the soles of her shoes. Well, that’s one way to lose these walking blues.” It explains everything this blog is about — getting through life with glam and pursuing the things that fill your soul. You don’t have to buy a whole new outfit… get a new top or new shoes. It makes a difference.
- Take a Trip: Day trip, weekend trip, or full-on travel… let’s go! Sometimes it is so good just to kick up the dust and adventure to a new city or place. Not only does it give you something to look forward to but you gain a new experience. If you live in the Charlotte area take a trip to Charleston, Nashville, Atlanta, Asheville, Boone, Hilton Head Island or Savannah. Each place offers something new and unique! It does wonders for the soul.
- Hike: Everyone knows… “exercise gives you endorphins and endorphins make you happy” but seriously, getting out in nature gives you a more positive outlook on life. Now that the weather is warming up, it’s the perfect time to take a hike. Best part… it’s free! Over the weekend, a few girlfriends and I went hiking. We were all talking about how awesome it felt to get outside and do something! I could tell we were all so much more positive about everything from work to school to relationships.
- Take a Bath: This has always been my go-to for a bad day. I love a warm bath to relax me after a stressful day. Now you can find bath bombs pretty much anywhere! They make your bath a little more fun and relaxing too. I always like to get the “relax” one which is normally some type of lavender smell. It’s just a great time to decompress and have a moment for yourself. Unplug from email, television, and your phone. Here are some of my favorite bath bombs.
- Lemon Water: My friend got me hooked on lemon water. Lemon water has so many health benefits you can’t help but feel better. I actually drink more water if it has lemon in it (I thought that was myth but I tested it out). I usually take half a lemon and slice it into four pieces, I let them soak overnight in a half gallon container. The next morning before work, I fill up a bottle and off to work I go. You can read the benefits for yourself here.
- Stay in contact with your loved ones: Whenever I’m stressed, I find relief in talking to my husband, parents, or friends. I love checking in to see how their day is going. If I’m being honest, I love to talk on the phone during my lunch break at work. It relaxes me to see what everyone else is up to and get out of my own personal “bubble.”
- Pray/Devotional: I know this might be an obvious one but giving all your cares to God is the easiest way to lose stress. I especially love to pray right before bed as I fall asleep. I just give all my worries and stress to God. If you are a morning person, read a devotional in the morning to start your day stress free. If you need a good starting point, I have linked one here.
- Sit Outside: This was my Mom’s tip. She is the most positive person I know. However, there is some science behind it. Getting vitamin D makes you feel better overall which can only lift your mood. My mom loves to sit out on nice days and soak in some rays. I actually have a chair in the backyard just for that purpose. I can sit outside and read after work.
- Send Handwritten Notes: If you’ve ever given a gift, you know the true joy of giving to others. I’m a little old-school but I am a huge fan of hand-written notes. There is something that makes me feel positive and happy when I thank someone for helping me with a task or buying me a cute shirt. It makes their day and yours! I usually buy my cards from Home Goods which are really inexpensive, but they have super cute varieties.
- Stretch: I grew up dancing so that is likely where this comes from. A good stretch heals the soul. Whenever I get stressed, my body shows it. I get super tense and my back gets tight. If your body is talking to you, you need to take a break and find some relief! The best time to stretch is in the shower or right after because your muscles are loose and warm. You will actually be able to stretch more than normal because you are so warm. By stretching you release the tension in those muscles giving you a more relaxed body and mindset. This is why everyone loves Yoga… you leave feeling stress free!
Take those lemons and make lemonade this week! What is your favorite way to de-stress?
** My top is sold out at the moment. I have linked a romper in the exact print.